Maternity Benefit (Allowance and Grant) is payable in the case of Pregnancy and Confinement of a Woman who is an Insured Person, or whose Spouse is an Insured Person.
Maternity Allowance is payable if the Insured Woman:
- Has paid not less than fifteen (15) Contributions since her entry into insurance; and
- Has been engaged in and paid Contributions for Insurable Employment during at least seven (7) Contribution Weeks in the period of twenty-six (26) Contribution Weeks preceding the week in which Benefit is claimed.
Maternity Grant is payable to:
- Any Insured Woman who has satisfied the conditions at items (a) and (b) above,
- Any woman whether insured or not, who was confined and who has not satisfied the conditions at items (a) and (b) above, but whose Spouse is an Insured Person and has satisfied the Contribution Condition
Rate of Benefit
The Weekly Rate of Maternity Allowance is seventy per cent (70%) of the Average Weekly Insurable Earnings.
Calculation of Rate of Maternity Allowance:
Weekly Paid Persons -
- Sum the Weekly Insurable Earnings for the best seven (7) weeks worked in the twenty-six (26) weeks period preceding the week in which the Benefit is due to commence.
- Divide item (i) by 7 = Average Weekly Insurable Earnings
- Weekly Rate of Benefit = item (ii)x 70%.
Monthly Paid Persons -
- Sum the Monthly Insurable Earnings for the best two (2) months worked in the six (6) months period immediately preceding the month in which the Benefit is due to commence.
- Divide item (iv) by 2 = Average Monthly Insurable Earnings.
- Divide item (v) by 26 and multiply result by 6 = Average Weekly Insurable Earnings.
- Weekly Rate of Benefit = item (vi) x 70%.
The amount of the Maternity Grant is two thousand dollars ($2,000.00).
Duration of Benefit
Maternity Allowance is normally paid for a period of thirteen (13) weeks. This Benefit can be extended for an additional thirteen (13) week period if the Insured Woman is still incapable of work as a result of complications arising directly out of the pregnancy and delivery.
If the Woman so desires, the Benefit can be paid for a period starting from the week not earlier than six (6) weeks before the expected week of confinement, and continue until six (6) weeks after the week of confinement or from the week of confinement.
Two or more periods of incapacity for work that are not separated by more than eight (8) weeks, will be treated as one continuous period, starting from the first day of the first period. The Rate of Maternity Benefit payable in respect of any period after the first period of incapacity will be the same rate paid during the first period.
Method of Payment
Benefit Payment Vouchers are issued to the Recipients of Maternity benefit. The Vouchers can be encashed at the National Insurance Offices, Post Offices and Commercial Banks.
- Form MB2 - Claim for Maternity Benefit
- Form Med2 - Medical Certificate of Confinement; or
- Form Med3 - Medical Certificate of Expected Confinement
- Form MB1 - Maternity Benefit Statement of Earnings (to be completed by the Employer)
- Form MB1A - Certificate by Self-employed in support of Maternity Benefit Claim (to be completed by Self-employed Person)
Method of Claiming
The following documents must be submitted when claiming Maternity Allowance:
If the Insured Woman is incapable of work after the completion of the normal thirteen (13) week period of Benefit, she must submit the following to claim the extended Benefit.
Form MB1B - Claim for Extended Maternity Allowance; and
Form Med1A - Medical Certificate - Post Confinement
Where a Claim is made using Medical Certificate of Expected Confinement, the Medical Certificate of Confinement must also be submitted by the Woman, when confinement takes place.
The following documents must be submitted when claiming Maternity Grant:
Form MB2A - Claim for Maternity Grant
Form MB2B - Declaration by Spouse to Support Claim for Maternity Grant
Form Med2 - Medical Certificate of Confinement
It should be noted that if the claim for Maternity Grant is being made by an Insured Woman who has satisfied the Qualifying Conditions for receipt of Maternity Allowance, only Form MB-2A must be submitted.
However, where the Woman is not insured or does not satisfy the Qualifying Conditions for the receipt of Maternity Allowance, but her Spouse does, Form MB-2A and Form MB-2B, along with Form Med 2 must be submitted.